Friday, October 5, 2007

Sex on Craiglist.Org

I had heard people talking about craigslist.org being used by prostitutes to solicit their “services” but I had no idea how out of control it was. I thought that it was just an occasional deviant posting improperly until the other day I noticed way at the bottom of craigslist.org was a little title “erotic” under the “services” category. I clicked it and found add after add of people posting naked pictures of themselves offering their “services”.

Some of the stuff I didn’t understand so I had to look up on the internet. There were phrases like “in-call only” and “out-call only”. I discovered that in-call means the person wants the services to be performed at his/her home and out-call means they will go to meet you at a hotel or wherever.

I have used craigslist.org a lot. I have always seen it as a positive asset to our communities. I thought it was awesome that someone would give such a gift away for free but now I find myself having to try to process why the owner would add this section and encourage this section for unlawful activities.

I ran a google search afterwards and found that cops have been tracking these people down and arresting them. In some cases they have even found teenagers trying to use the site to prostitute themselves. This is no longer a community service, this is a threat.

I wrote to craiglist.org under the “submit a comment” section and told them politely how I felt. Being that they have not responded to law enforcements concerns I am not holding my breath to get much of a response.

While I understand that they cannot control all messages that come thru their boards, I cannot understand the need for an “erotic” category under “services”.

No comments:

Google

GOP Headlines