Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Ramblings of a Frustrated White Girl

I am white in America but don’t assume you know me or know about people “like me”. I hear Rev. Wright attacking white people and how black people were enslaved by them. I hear black people saying they want reparations for what happened to their family years ago. I am sorry for that but I didn’t do it. My family was not even living in this country yet during that time period. They were off in another land suffering their own fate trying to survive in a cruel world. I don’t understand why Rev. Wright would attack me. I don’t understand why I can’t say his words are hate mongering without people like Whoopie Goldberg flipping out saying it’s not hate. Why is it not hate if it is against me, but it is if it is against her?

I search the internet and hear people saying that people don’t want Obama because he is black. Why can’t I not like him just because I do not agree with his policies? I must be a racist if I don’t agree with him right, or just a redneck? Why is it ok for people who vote for him just because he IS black? Why is it not ok to disagree with that? Because I am white I am just supposed to ignore the double standard.

To make matters worse I am a republican. That must make me rich right? Actually I grew up in a home with a single mother that was barely functioning as a human being let alone as a mother. We looked to strangers and government to provide us food and shelter. I moved from place to place and somehow managed to come out ok. I spent 10 years struggling trying to go to school part time. Working full time to pay the rent, car insurance and for school. I could not get a grant for school because I am white. There were no provisions for me since I was not a minority – I had to suffer – because I am white.

I still fall in the lower middle class category. I pay my bills and live within my means. I faithfully give a minimum of 10% of all my money to help the homeless, feed the poor, support locals congregations and other charitable groups. I do not believe that the government should decide for me who I help. I do not believe the government has the ability to spend my money better than me, but because I am white it must mean that I don’t care about those who haven’t made it yet right?

If I offended anyone in sharing how I feel, it’s because I just don’t understand. It’s because I am white.

No comments:

Google

GOP Headlines