Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shelly Mandel: America, This is What a Feminist Looks Like: Governor Sarah Palin



Those were the final words spoken by Shelly Mandell, president of the Los Angeles chapter of National Organization of Woman, in her introduction and endorsement of Sarah Palin in Carson, California.


As a long time democrat this move was a bold and brave one for Shelly Mandell to endorse a republican candidate. The NOW Pac has officially endorsed Obama
so you can imagine the internal stir this has caused. There are many members of the feminist group that are absolutely disgusted that Shelly Mandell spoke her own mind instead of denouncing Gov. Palin because she happens to both a strong, accomplished woman who just so happens to be a democrat.


Following is an "unofficial" transcript of Shelly Mandell's introduction/endorsement of Governor Sarah Palin



I want to thank you, and I want to reiterate that I am Shelly Mandell, the president of the Los Angeles chapter of the National Organization for Women. Now I'm happy to be here, and I'm here today speaking not on behalf of NOW, but speaking as an individual, as a women's rights activist for thirty years who has worked for all those years to see this day.

Let me share with you where I've been and why I'm here. I was there in 1977 for IWY, that was the International Women's Year, in Texas. I was there in 1978 when we campaigned hard all over the west for the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, working right alongside my dear friend Maureen Reagan. I was there in 1984 when we worked so hard to get Geraldine Ferraro on the ticket
, and then to support her historical place in that election.

And I'm here today proud to support Sarah Palin, a woman who will fight for women's rights, a woman who will fight for the middle class, a woman who will--Lord knows--shake things up.

Now, make no mistake. I'm a life-long Democrat. I don't agree, I've got to tell you, I don't agree with Governor Palin on several issues. Hey, she's going to work on persuading John McCain on ANWR; well I'm going to try persuading her on things of my own.

But... But I know Sarah Palin cares about women's rights, she cares about equality, she cares about equal pay, and as Vice President she will fight for it.

She cares about our children and she cares about women's lives. She's an athlete and she knows what Title IX did for girls like her.

Change must come to Washington, and Sarah Palin has what it takes to lead that charge. I believe she is courageous, I believe she has integrity, and I know that Sarah Palin is a reformer who will break up the old boy network, buck the system, and get Washington back on our side.

It is an honor to call her sister.

America, this is what a feminist looks like: Governor
Sarah Palin.


No comments:

Google

GOP Headlines